Thursday, March 17, 2016

Greek food revisited

My first encounter with authentic Greek food was four years back in Greece. There was an unusual sense of thrill and excitement in exploring the small cobbled alleyways and boutique shops of Santorini as it resonated with the excitement of starting a new chapter in my life! It was here that we found the perfect tzatziki to whet our appetite and a hearty moussaka to fill our stomach and satiate our senses.

In today's party, I tried to recreate the same recipes and finish it with, Zabaglione, a dessert that probably took most of my 'cooking' time in the kitchen! But it's definitely worth a try and considerably easy if you have a hand blender ;)


Menu Idea:
Here is the menu detail for your greek party:
1. Salad: This is my interpretation of a simple and quick greek salad that's elegant to serve.
2. Appetizer: Tzatziki and toasted pita bread - yet another super quick and delicious meal in itself.
3. Main course: Moussaka - this is a lighter version of the dish made with ground chicken instead.
4. Dessert: Zabaglione - eggs, sugar and cream - ingredients for a perfect dessert :)

Time: 2hr 30min, from opening the fridge to take out ingredients to cleaning the last inch of the countertop(utensils washing time included).


For serving the Greek salad, I used endive leaves as my base. I chopped tomatoes, onions, cucumber, olives and feta cheese and dressed them with little lemon juice and olive oil. The sourness in lemon works well with the bitterness of the leaves.

Table Setting:
For a cute Greek table setting I used simple white and blue place mats as everything on the Greek Islands is white and blue, including their flag!!

For the center piece I recycled an old can, dressed it up with some twine and used living thyme to spice up the entire atmosphere on the table.

I wrapped some blue tissue paper around yogurt cups and places tea lamps for a cozy effect and randomly arranged lemons next to the lamps.

Using decorations of herbs and spices that you have used in the food are a great way to start interesting conversations.




No comments:

Post a Comment