Sunday, October 2, 2016

Salmon marinated in tamarind sauce with millet

This was a spontaneous dish that I pulled together when I was missing my home during the days of navratri. My parents and grandparents used to prepare special meals rather humble feasts for us, all these nine days. Millet was a special part of our diet that we had almost  everyday - either for lunch or for supper. Here I tried to recreate something similar to what I had, with some of my twists.
First, instead of making a traditional sauce, I used my speed power and used a ready-made tamarind sauce and secondly, I added a little fish to the mixture to just make the dish more date-likey! :)




Ingredients:
Clarified butter
2 Potatoes
~3/4 cup Millet
~5 cups of water
6oz Salmon fillet
1 cup Maggie Tamarind Sauce
Some roasted peanut powder
Cumin seeds
Red Chilly Powder
Salt

Method:
1. Marinate: Marinate the salmon in tamarind sauce and a little clarified butter and set aside for about 15-20 minutes.

2. Millet: While the salmon marinates, cut the potatoes in small cubes. Heat some butter and saute cumin seeds and red chilly powder for a few seconds. Then add the potatoes, millet, salt, some roasted peanut powder and about 2 cups water. Cover and cook on low for about 20 minutes on medium to low heat.

3. Tamarind broth: In another pan, heat clarified butter and saute cumin seeds for a few seconds. Add tamarind sauce and remaining 2-3 cups of water. Mix well and set it to bubble on medium to low heat for about 10 minutes. After that add, some roasted peanut power and let it bubble on low until ready to serve.

4. Salmon: Cover and cook the salmon fillet in some butter for 12-13 minutes. After that, double wrap the salmon in aluminium foil and let it rest for another 10 minutes.

5. Assembly: use a bowl as mound and put the millet in the middle of the dish. Top the millet with flaked salmon. Gently spoon the tamarind broth on the side to create a moat effect.


Millet that I used for this dish

No comments:

Post a Comment