Monday, December 3, 2012

Decide on your commitment

The one thing that I have realized in the course of this journey is to decide and be firm on what I reject as a choice vs. what I commit to do. Everyday there is one thing or the other that you'd say no to - that can be either to the things that push you to get the best out of you or to things that hinder you from performing at your best. The choices that I made were guided by my lazy instinct that told me to relax and spend a non-active time recovering from a heavy day at work. The things that I said "no" to were mainly things that involved activity - be it going to gym, going to play tennis, going out for a swim, cleaning the house or just anything that involved body movement.
I kept giving excuses to myself as to why I should NOT do exercise, of why I should NOT improve my diet and of why I CAN'T be on a proper schedule. Deep inside I knew that these were excuses that I have been giving myself since years - just that back in days I had a strong will to resist these excuses and give a better excuse to workout every morning at 5AM! Lately, the motivation in me died and commitment was lost.... I will not lie - it took a lot of time, energy and effort to get back on track. The idle life had become overpowering and demanding that wouldn't just let go of me.

The realization of this bad commitment started when I started to have acute back aches and neck pains. I went to the physical therapist and I saw either really aged people or people with injury and I felt odd man out there! I didn't want a therapist at this age - although a lot of my colleagues went to a therapist or a chiropractor, I didn't want to be one of them. I started the normal course of exercises - yet, not enough.
Six months later, I was still not over this commitment to over stressed life - with a lot of events that happened in that six month time - I got married, my responsibilities at worked increased to more than what I asked for and I was at the bottom of the deepest part of the trench full of stress. I still need physical therapy sessions!

After I moved to a new place, new job - I figured out that this was the perfect time to adapt to schedule rather than pulling on more work and making excuses for not being active. And thus began my journey to a new sustainable healthy life. We got a trainer who worked with us twice a week and made sure that we are following a strict diet. Most importantly she also helped me stay focused and motivated - that is the best part about it. I had someone looking at me to measure if I could prove myself to her.
Since last two months I have tried hard and made every possible effort to stay on track. I faltered(a lot) and got swayed by desires of cakes and tandoori food. Yet I have not let myself make an excuse to get back to the old way. I have made a commitment to myself of saying NO to undesirable things on most occasions still allowing a lee-way for that wild person to come out sometimes :)
After two months I still feel guilty if I eat a lot of junk or skip exercise. This is the commitment that I have always wanted and I want everyone reading this to have.

The key to keep up commitment to a healthy life is to make sure that you can sustain it - I cannot commit to cooking all day long and eating bland food forever - that's just not the way I was raised! I cannot commit to spending hours in gym everyday to get one muscle toned. What I do think is sustainable commitment is to make a proper routine to get up and devote at least one hour to exercise - gym, swim, train, run - whatever I am in mood of. I haven't really made my food bland, but I do add Indian flavors so I can have healthy food daily. There is some stuff that I hate(and Kush hates as well :) ) like brown rice or quinoa - but there are other options that do the same job : I adapted to those :) We have started loving broccoli - to our surprise!

You need to figure out what suits you, morning or evening exercise, the food that you can eat on a daily basis without really pushing yourself so that you can sustain that diet without giving up everything in frustration one fine day(i did that once :( ) . You need to be strong enough to say NO to your excuses and start working towards a better life. Find something that will motivate you and work towards that.
I don't want to go to a therapist until the age of 50 or even after that: that is my motivation.
I want to fit in all the clothes that are in my wardrobe the way I did when I bought them: that is another one.
I love water and I want to be in the pool for as long as I want to be: that's my motivation for stamina.

If nothing else - the most important thing that motivates me is that if I follow the diet and strict routine that will give me an opportunity to help and motivate my friends and family. If I can act as a role model and guide for them to get on a healthier life - that is the best gift I can give to them.

Again, analyze what things you are saying no to. If it's worth doing it - don't listen to your excuses and just do it! You'll feel much happier and healthier - much more content and stronger than what you feel right now!



No comments:

Post a Comment